#header-inner {text-align: center ;}

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Our Europe Trip



What an AMAZING trip!  We were there for just under three weeks and we had a blast. 

We started off in Paris and did Versailles on the first day.  It was incredible and very over the top.




We obviously ate gelato almost every day... This was our favorite place because they would form the gelato into a flower every time. 




Our hotel was a five minute walk from the Eiffel Tower so we went almost every night to see it sparkle.  It was quite beautiful. 



I can't take credit for most of these amazing pictures.  Dix had the camera 90% of the time and I have been very pleased with the results. 



This is us right at the end of our 5 hours at the Louve Museum.  We both loved it so much and we were sad to leave it.  


This is the amazing interior of Notre Dame.  This was one of my favorite buildings we toured in the whole trip.  At almost 900 years old, this amazing building has super cool architecture and a great history. 


The outside view of Notre Dame is just as great as the inside.  Gothic is such a unique style because everything is so detailed. 


My cute husband standing at "Point Zero" which is the place from which all other distances in France are measured. 




We climbed 800 steps (YES my legs were shaking uncontrollably) and then took an elevator to the top for an amazing view.  



This was the view from right as we stepped out of the metro station. A 1900 year old building still standing! 



The inside of the Colloseum was so cool because we kept thinking that the historical hunger games were there :)


It was AMAZING to have 3 weeks of my husband all to myself.  We haven't done something "just us" since our honeymoon and we were both in heaven.  No cell phones or other distractions and just being together.  I could do that for the rest of my life. 


The sculptures in the Vatican Museum were so funny because you could tell the age by their male genitals.  An early pope completely castrated all the sculptures and a later pope just covered them up with fig leaves... Dix and I found it quite entertaining.  



The work of an early Pope



This is us outside of St. Peters Basilica which was the most amazing church we saw.  Our time spent in Vatican City and seeing the Sistine Chapel ceiling left me in awe of the grandeur of the Catholic church.  

This "boxer" statue was one of the highlights of our trip because Dix"fake punched" it in the museum and set off a huge loud alarm.  It was a very classy moment when everyone saw the American tourists getting in trouble for fake punching classic art. 


Before Venice was Florence where we ate great food and saw Michelangelo's David.  Unfortunately we couldn't take pictures in the museums there.

Venice is just as beautiful as it looks.  It was incredibly romantic.  




London was super fun and a great way to end our trip.  It was here that I saw Davinci's "Madonna of the Rocks", the original and handwritten Jane Eyre, the crown jewels, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and much much more.

It was a great city and it was also here that we had the best hot chocolate we have ever tasted.  




My cute husband.  I love him. 


A great highlight of our London trip was touring the Harry Potter museum/filming studio.  We were both in "nerd mode" big time.  We loved it:)


Dix gave me an extra treat by taking me to Les Miserables.  This was the first time I've ever seen a professional show and it was incredible.  I also loved watching Les Mis right after being in France because I appreciated and understood the storyline better.  


The day before we left London we met up with Brawn (with the permission of his mission president).  We had a great time going to lunch with him and his companion.  He seemed to be doing great and we were very proud of him.







Overall, our trip was great and super educational (I was very much in my element).  I learned more in 3 weeks than I could have in 3 years.  It was amazing for a million different reasons and I am so grateful that we were lucky enough to do it. 

1 comment:

  1. You left out my favorite pic, the one of Dix sitting on the ledge of a bridge reading something.

    ReplyDelete